Mocha Strawberry Cake
This cake was bookmarked quite a long time back but it was lost in hundreds of other bookmarked ' Must Try ' recipies. Recently I saw fresh, red and beautiful strawberries on 'Chef At Large' posted by a member asking what we can make. That immediately brought me back to this cake which I had fallen in love no sooner than I saw it. I knew that I had to make this cake now with a cup full of fresh strawberries lying in my refrigerator. And believe me , it was so so Yum. .......The moment I took out the first piece, I just could not wait and take the pictures .....wanted to have a bite....and the first piece was gone....then took the second piece plating it for the pic.....hurriedly took the pic..as my son had come back from the school and wanted to have a bite too.......another piece gone......
It is perfect for the coming Valentine Week....with fresh aroma of coffee....and digging into strawberries in between....
(Recipe adapted from 'Joy The Baker')
For the strawberry pulp
1 cup sliced strawberries
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons water
For the cake
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 large eggs
1 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tsp instant coffee powder
100 gms thick yogurt1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Topping
3 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1. To make the strawberry mixture:
Combine strawberries, 1/3 cup sugar, water and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring constantly until the sauce is thickened and strawberries are soft and somewhat broken down. Set aside to cool.
2. To make the topping:
Combine all the topping ingredients in a bowl and rub together with your fingertips until crumbly. Set aside.
3. To make the coffee cake:
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add the egg, beating well . Add vanilla extract,
- Sift all the dry ingredients together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the creamed butter in 3 parts alternating with the yogurt in 2 parts, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Beat just until combined.
- Spoon 2/3 of the batter into the prepared pan.
- Spread the cooled strawberry mixture over the batter.
- Spoon the remaining batter onto the strawberries and spread evenly.
- Top with streusel topping and bake in the at 200 o C for approx. 45 - 50 mins. or until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.