Yesterday was my hubby’s B’day and indeed it was a day for celeberations. I wanted to bake a pineapple cake (with lots of whipped cream icing) for him as he loves pineapple , but electricity was playing hide and seek since morning and time was rolling on. So I decided to bake a simple ‘Pineapple Upside Down Cake’. Though it’s a simple cake but I think pineapple and caramel add to its flavor which makes it special.
The recipe is very basic, just like a pound cake type. The only thing is I have used malai (home made cream which comes on the top when the full cream milk is boiled) instead of butter. I have adapted a very old recipe that my mother used to make using malai. Malai gives the cake moistness and makes it more spongy.
Any cake (chocolate cake, marble cake, coffee cake, orange cake) can be made using this recipe, we just need to make some basic changes while using this recipe for other types of cakes.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
2 Eggs (I have used 3 eggs as they were very small)1 cup maida
¾ th cup sugar
3/4th cup/100 gms malai/butter
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp pineapple essence
A few drops of yellow colour
A few rings of tinned pineapple
3-4 tbsp sugar( for caramel)
1. Grease the pan with butter and dust it with maida.
2. Place pineapple slices on the tin and put cherries on them.
3. Make caramel with sugar and add 1 tbsp of water in caramel if required.
4. Pour this caramel in between gaps.
5. Sieve maida and baking powder.
6. Beat eggs and sugar together in a blender.
7. Add pineapple essence .
8. Mix in maida .
9. Put malai or butter and mix well.
10. Pour the batter on the decorated pineapple and cherries.
11. Bake at Pre- Heated oven at 200o C for 40 mins.